Friday, May 06, 2005

Boing Boing: Zabasearch: Your identity, open to all

Boing Boing: Zabasearch: Your identity, open to all: "Zabasearch: Your identity, open to all
I interviewed the founders of Zabasearch, a recently-launched 'people data search engine,' for Wired News today. The controversial site offers free searches that reveal addresses, unlisted phone numbers, birth years, and other info dating back often ten years or more. Records include those of public figures and celebrities -- and, possibly, you. Critics say the service exploits the lack of data privacy in America. Many claim the company has been less than transparent about its fee-based services, and unresponsive to opt-out requests."


While I generally leave the ranting to Clight, I feel I must unload on this topic. Privacy Rights seem unimportant the the majority of Americans these days. I mean, all our credit info etc is easily gotten by just about anyone. I think the American public just assumes their information is easy to obtain and accepts it. The problem here is that by accepting this situation, we get "services" like Zaba which truly do undermine our Privacy Rights in very real and scary ways. My fear is that the Right to Privacy, a subject I hold dear, is a dead issue. We, the accepting sheeplike masses have given up, or just do not care that all of our vital data has become a commodity resource which can be bought and sold without any input on our part. "But, I have nothing to hide, Mr. Baa. I live a lawful life." I hear this all the time. WAKE UP!!! It's not about hiding secrets. It's about your basic right to control information about your life, and decide who can and cannot access your information and create targeting marketing, wonderful credit card offers, perfect vacations, and more.

/rant off

4 Comments:

At Friday, May 06, 2005 12:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think every time someone pays one of the 3 credit bureaus $20 to view my credit report, they should kick back a couple bucks to me. It pisses me off that they make money selling information about me that I didn't authorize them to collect. If I were to collect information on the CEOs of each of those companies it would no doubt be illegal.

 
At Friday, May 06, 2005 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Coherent Light said...

Hrumph! My posts are not rants. They are concise, erudite, critiques of what the article was referencing. The problem is they are so elegant and persuasive that they threaten the reader with paradigm shift that they are unable to understand, let alone assimilate into thier world view. So the Id erects defensive barriers and shunts it off the the ego. The Ego classifies it as an attack and reacts with the "fight of flight" instinct. So, order to preserve the psyche's cohesion the Ego dismisses the brilliance it is unable to comprehend and declares it a "rant". While some may argue that this is just another "rant" (Baa!) might I point out the use of really big words above. The use of so many big words is a clear sign of superior intellect and all entities of lesser knowledge (or gormless if you require more obscure big words as proof) should simply accede to my logic.

P.s I should point out that Baa! made an illegal loop statement in the original post.
/rant off <---- This will result in an open loop with out the proper opening statement of /rant on.

P.s.s I would address the privacy thingie but coming up with all 'dem big words has made me sleepy....

 
At Friday, May 06, 2005 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

STFU.

pWn3d

 
At Saturday, May 07, 2005 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Coherent Light said...

Ahhh....well if that coment didn't prove the point I don't know what can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home