Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Palm Treo 700w Smartphone available on Verizon Wireless

PalmWMPress07
Press Release
For businesses and individuals who want the latest all-in-one mobile communications and business-productivity solution, Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) and Verizon Wireless today announced the availability of the Palm(R) Treo(TM) 700w smartphone, the first Treo smartphone to take advantage of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service on its EV-DO network. The Treo 700w smartphone also is the first Treo smartphone to run the Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system, bringing the hallmark Palm ease of use to Windows Mobile for the first time. It combines a great mobile phone with high-speed wireless data access to email(1) and business applications. The Treo 700w smartphone goes on sale tomorrow and joins the Treo 650 smartphone based on the Palm OS(R) platform on the Verizon Wireless network.

Bastids! Not eight months ago, I was shouldering little old ladies out of the way at my local Verizon Wireless store to be the first kid on my block with a Verizon Treo 650. I pretty much know I was the first kid in my local area to have one because Verizon totally screwed up my service and ended up charging me $500 for data access (Tip! When requesting the UNLIMITED Data Package from Verizon, make certain the nimrod behind that counter understands what Unlimited means.)

Eight months later, and my beloved Treo 650 is obsolete. Yet another gadget to pawn off on a friend or family member who doesn't know it's a trick so I can justify dropping another $500 on a cell phone.

And it sure looks like a sweet phone! It works with Verizon's EV-DO network which averages around 500K (vs my paltry 80K on the 650.) It runs Windows Mobile, which is actually Microsoft's best version of Windows and it appears as if Palm actually provides enough onboard memory to make it a useful PDA.

Guess I better go tell the wife she is getting a Treo 650 as a late Xmas present.

Bastids...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home