Thursday, June 02, 2005

Does Text Messaging Really Help Stop Smoking?

Techdirt:Does Text Messaging Really Help Stop Smoking?
There's been some buzz recently about a new study suggesting that text messaging helps young smokers quit. The study found that nearly twice as many smokers ended up quitting when they were sent regular text message reminders or encouragement, compared to a control group. Of course, people shouldn't get so excited that text messaging is really a way to stop smoking. It was still only 28% of those in the program who actually quit -- and the study had problems following up with many users six months later to see if they had continued to avoid smoking.

In the interest of science, I am volunteering to test this new theory. I will begin sending Baa random text messages in an effort to assist him to quit smoking. I also have a hypothesis about a secondary effect my experiment will produce. Hypothesis: Experiment will result in bodily injury and/or death for the Lead Scientist (look I'm a scientist!). I will keep you posted on the experiments progress. First message is sent. "Don't light that smoke! Think of the children!" I really wish he didn't know where I live...

1 Comments:

At Friday, June 03, 2005 5:03:00 PM, Blogger Coherent Light said...

As you can see, my hypothesis seems to be gaining some supporting evidence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home