Monday, July 04, 2005

Devoted to God, but Not the Pledge

Devoted to God, but Not the Pledge
Looks like a political theme today....
He has pursued deeply held religious convictions in courtrooms in Loudoun County, Alexandria and North Carolina. He is most passionate about his opposition to reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools, which Myers believes unconstitutionally mingles God and government and dilutes his religion.
A software engineer with no legal training, he plunked down $100 to file a suit in federal court in 2002, figuring he'd represent himself and make a point. He lost at the U.S. District Court level. But three years later, Myers's case has been taken on by a prominent civil liberties attorney and stands poised to help decide the Pledge of Allegiance's legality in schools nationwide.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I cetainly didn't think a hard-core Christer would be on my side. And for those who don't know, the "under God" crap was added in 1954 (hah! take that Schram-man) by the Knights of Columbus. And yes, I object to "In God We Trust" on my money too (added after the Civil War).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home