Saturday, November 05, 2005

Accidental Invention Points to End of Light Bulbs


Accidental Invention Points to End of Light Bulbs
Michael Bowers, a graduate student at Vanderbilt University, was just trying to make really small quantum dots, which are crystals generally only a few nanometers big. That's less than 1/1000th the width of a human hair.

When you shine a light on quantum dots or apply electricity to them, they react by producing their own light, normally a bright, vibrant color. But when Bowers shined a laser on his batch of dots, something unexpected happened.

"I was surprised when a white glow covered the table," Bowers said. "The quantum dots were supposed to emit blue light, but instead they were giving off a beautiful white glow."

The new device gives off a warm, yellowish-white light that shines twice as bright and lasts 50 times longer than the standard 60 watt light bulb.

Finally, a replacement for regular old light bulbs. Yes, I'm serious. I hate the inefficiency of regular bulbs. What?!? I do. Yes, it is a little OCD but I'm ok with that. Inefficiency bugs the crap out of me. Fine, be that way see if I care. New light bulbs are still cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home